Home Insurance Quotes

Picture of House and YardYour home is probably the largest single financial investment you have ever made. Most people could not afford to replace everything they own, or repair the building itself, in the event of fire, theft or other disasters. That is where property insurance comes in.

Home insurance pays for damage to or loss of your house, condominium or property. It may cover:

  • damage, theft or loss of your personal possessions
  • personal property stolen from your vehicle
  • damage or injury to others who visit your home or property (for example, if someone falls in your driveway and is injured)
  • accidental damage you cause to others’ property (for example, if a fire that starts in your house causes damage to your neighbour’s house).

Most financial institutions require you to get home insurance before giving you a mortgage.

There are many levels of home insurance, ranging from comprehensive or “all perils” insurance (which covers both the building and the contents for all risks that are not specifically excluded), to basic or “named perils” insurance (which covers you only for specifically named risks). Talk to an insurance agent or broker to determine the best type and level of coverage for you.

Search for information on home and property insurance quotes. Compare rates between providers, and research companies to learn more about the services they provide in each Canadian province.

Source: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada